Chicken Tortellini Soup
Chicken Tortellini Soup is an Italian classic. This hearty and comforting soup has become a popular option for both lunch and dinner – and with good reason! Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and can be tailored to suit a variety of dietary needs.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 6
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 3 cups of cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it is soft and translucent about 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Add the chicken broth, beans, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, and bring the mixture to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the cheese tortellini and simmer until the tortellini is cooked through about 10 minutes.
6. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
7. Serve the soup with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
For a thicker soup, you can add 1/4 cup of flour to the broth and stir until it thickens.
Serving size: 1 bowl
Fat: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 39 g
Protein: 30 g
Tips & Tricks:
- For extra flavor, add 1/4 cup of white wine to the soup while cooking.
- If you’re looking for a vegan alternative, use vegetable broth and skip the cheese.
- To make this into a main dish, add 1/2 cup of cooked, diced chicken or turkey to the soup.
- Add some diced celery and carrots for extra flavor and texture.
- For a creamier soup, add in a cup of heavy cream or half-and-half.
- If you like spicy food, add in a pinch of red pepper flakes or some diced jalapeños for a kick.
- Serve the soup with a side of crusty bread for a complete meal.